6.23.2011

Oh The Joys Of The Unexpected....

Today wasnt awesome. As some of you may have heard via my husband's Facebook, Tony lost his job today. It was super unexpected. We had no idea this was coming. It's really upsetting for a number of reasons. For those of you who know about his work situation, you would know that the upper management is not very good. I dont want to get into too many specific details as I dont think that's my place, but let's just say that Tony was stressed out a good amount of the time he has worked there because of it. This past April marked a year of Tony working for this particular company. He has put up with a lot and always kept other possible job opportunities in his mind throughout, just in case he could find something good enough to switch over to. It's true what they say: "people quit managers, not jobs." I'm sure that's what would have eventually happened, but certainly not right now. Not 2 1/2 months away from the birth of our baby girl. I know we didnt want to make a switch for a little while unless something really great came along... Even though he wasnt crazy happy about the manager he had, Tony could still do the work and the pay was good. Enough so that I didnt have to work (which has been a blessing, since my pregnancy hasnt always been easy - although I'm still pet-sitting, just not as much as I could be doing). Anyway, Tony has worked long looooong hours for this company and was very reliable and hardworking. He had received two raises since being there (in a year's worth of time) and was promoted from driver to warehouse manager. In fact, this past week, he was working from 4 AM - 10 PM pretty much every day. He normally works from 4 AM - 6 or 7 PM (still long days, but he was sticking around to get more done since the other guys in the warehouse weren't really keeping up with everything). But he was laid off out of the blue today. They called him in right after he was getting off work (early, I might add, to take me to my appointment at 3:45 PM) and just laid that nice bit of information on him. 

Well, I hadnt been feeling well all day today (unexpected nausea and vomiting, which forced me to take a Zofran, which I havent had in two weeks) and it took all I had to take a shower and get ready. When Tony got home and told me what happened, I just kind of lost it and so we canceled my appointment. I was supposed to have the standard glucose testing today to see if I have gestational diabetes or anything like that (which my doctor isnt too worried about, but still, you  never know). We rescheduled for early next week, so it will be fine to get it done then, but today with everything going on, I just felt like if I did receive bad news, I just dont know how I could handle it, on top of everything else. I could feel myself getting stressed out and I wanted myself out of that situation, because it wouldnt be good for baby. So rescheduling was the best option for today.

So anyway, Tony is going back down to the warehouse tomorrow morning to see if there is anything, anything at all that he can do (even if it means going back to being a driver, like he was at the beginning - which would suck because the schedule varies and he goes on trips - but it would be something). If nothing works out, he's sending out resumes to other places (he did a few tonight already). And if anyone knows of anything, we would really appreciate the suggestions. He has a lot of skills and is talented in a lot of areas. This last job he was at was a delivery service company and he was a driver for part of the time and a warehouse manager most recently. He has worked in furniture, machinery, hard labor, sales, food, hospitality, and a few other areas. He has a lot of experience in different things. He'd prefer something more physical (as in not a store or food service; i.e. construction or labor intensive) but we arent being too picky right now. We just want to get something going. A lot of you know how it is. 

I also have a few upcoming pet sitting jobs booked, which will certainly help, so we're grateful for that. We are a little stressed right now, but we also realize how blessed we are. We have each other, our health (which we are especially grateful for, considering I'm pregnant), our home, a savings account (which we hate to use but this is what it's for - a house, our child's needs, and emergencies), and enough things for Anistynn to be okay with (just in case we couldnt afford anything else before she arrived, we have what we need, the rest are just 'wants' - we have her crib and mattress, bedding, toys, books, stroller, car seat, bottles, and enough clothes for five children.... The only thing we'll really need to get is diapers and wipes, at least to get started)..... But I'm sure we'll be fine. It's just a little scary when something like this happens. But Tony and I are in this together and that's where we'll remain. 

When I started to get a little overwhelmed earlier, I happened to feel Anistynn kick and that just made me break out in a teary smile - because although we have a kiddo on the way, and Tony doesnt currently have a job, I'm almost certain we'll be okay. I also feel so blessed that my pregnancy has been healthy and our little girl is progressing just like she should be (no concerns yet and hopefully none at all ever) - and she'll get more love than anyone could ever hope for. 

Thanks for all your support, suggestions, and prayers during this time. We love all of you and are so grateful for each and every one of you in our lives!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The unexpected can be so scary. But god always makes a way even when there seems to be no way. I will keep you guys in prayer. God bless you three. :)

Carissa