7.23.2011

How To Keep A Baby Alive

We had our final baby class today: Breastfeeding and Newborn Care. I dont need to go on about breastfeeding (as I'm sure most of you moms out there are already knowledgeable on the subject) but I will say it's amazing how many things come from breastfeeding. I will be brutally honest and tell you that I've always thought breastfeeding was a bit weird. Not when other people were doing it but thinking about me personally doing it. I cant even tell you exactly why I have felt this way but I guess that even though it's a totally natural thing to do, I have always felt it was a little intense, maybe even creepy. I hope I'm not sounding like a bad mother figure but those are just my honest feelings. However, I know that I want to do it, especially now. A lot of people I know ended up not breastfeeding for very long - actually the majority of people I know personally didnt do it at all or for very long. My goal is to do it for at least 6 months. I think it's the thought of an older child breastfeeding (when they've become more of a "little person" - a real little human being, if you will) that freaks me out a bit. All I know is that I would definitely like to give breastfeeding a shot. I cant really say anything until I try it. Who knows - I may end up doing it for way longer than I'm anticipating. Or I may do it for a short period of time. But my goal is 6 months, at least. Although, I would like to introduce her to bottles at an early age as well, and switch between them both. If I ever have to leave her with grandparents or the hubby, I want her to take a bottle and still be fed! It's either that or I aint going anywhere for a while! Haha. But the fact of the matter is, we just dont know what kind of baby she's going to be. I've heard of so many different scenarios that I basically just have to wait and see what her personality is like and what she personally likes and dislikes and we'll go from there.

The second part of the class was Newborn Care. We basically learned the proper care for a baby: bathing, diapering, etc. And yes, we did have baby dolls. And yes, we gave them full on baths. And yes, we changed their diapers. And sadly, our baby had a bracelet on her wrist that said "Diana" and when we went to change "her" it came to light that "she" was indeed a "he" - so that poor child is going to have a rough childhood. We also learned about different coping techniques on how to handle a crying child if they've already been changed and fed and they're still super fussy. And finally, we worked on different aspects of our own relationship, how to support one another in a time of great change, when having a child has turned your world upside down - in a good way, of course! We had to work together to figure out what to do with our upset child while a tape of a crying baby played in the background. It was actually a very helpful exercise! 

After our class, we met my mom (we also met her for lunch, too) and she showed Tony the floor of the hospital where she worked. 

Man, I really have a hard time with hospitals. 

So even though we had these classes, and I do actually feel a bit more prepared, I know that we will still make tons of mistakes. But I also know that we will love that child with every ounce of our beings. Ahh I cant wait to meet her!!

0 comments: