7.16.2011

The End Of An Era

Harry Potter Review:

Soooooo. I'm not even really sure what to say. It seems so crazy that Harry Potter is now officially over (at least, technically. No more new books or movies). The first book came out when I was in 6th grade. SIXTH GRADE. That was like...12 years ago?? The story is kind of funny.....

My grandparents bought the book for my brother Travis and I for Christmas to share. Even though I'm a sucker for all things books, I really wasnt into (and still never really am) interested in books that are fantastical (witches, wizards, magic, creatures, vampires, monsters, etc). So I kind of just let my brother have it. Well a few months later, I didnt have anything to read. I was at home, wandering the house, trying to figure out what to do because I was bored. I had read everything I owned and I already was through the 6 or 7 books I had piled up in my room that I had checked out from the library. So I went to my brother's room and asked him if he had any books I could look through to find something to read. He had been rallying to get me to read Harry Potter ever since he finished it a while back. "Come on Danielle, you'll like it - I promise you." I had consistently refused. Well, the day had finally come. There was nothing else I was even remotely interested in (or better yet, hadnt already read) that he owned so I grudgingly took the book and retreated to my room. A few hours later, I emerged, having read the entire book in one sitting. I was in love. Pure utter love. 

From then on, my life was about Harry Potter. I was obsessed with it and started collecting everything that had to do with Harry Potter. I had the books, magazines with any articles about it, figurines, stuffed animals, posters, clothes, blankets, bookends, trading cards, etc. I even had a Harry Potter birthday party, complete with invites, thank you notes, tablecloth, plates, hats, cake, and more (yes, as a teenager). I was a geek in every sense of the word. When the movies started coming out, my friends and I started a tradition: we all gathered at my friend Kalee's house (whose parents are Mark and Lori, who I've mentioned in previous posts - they're like my second family) and we would get all Pottered up for the midnight showing. We'd get into costume (yes, robes, hats, shirts, make up - lightning scars on our heads drawn on with eyeliner - glasses, scarves, etc) and head to the theater early to get good seats. I was so into HP that after the first few movies, I would write up a list of everything that differed between movie and book when I got home. Sometimes it would take up 6 or 7 pages, front and back. It was ridiculous. After a few years of this, I finally moved on from my obsessive state but my love for Harry Potter never went away. I still went to the midnight release of all the books and movies. No matter where I was (Oregon or Colorado), no matter what was going on in my life, I still managed to do it.

When the last book came out, after hanging out at the pre-party held at Borders before it was released, I started reading it as soon as I got it in my hands. That's precisely why I had someone else drive me home, so that I could continue reading. I finished it at about 7 or 8 the next morning. Although I read the last 10 pages veryyyy slowly because I didnt want it to end. I bawled my freaking eyes out. 

Now the 7th (part 2) final movie is finally here. And I saw it at midnight on it's release date. Just like always. And I dont know how I feel. I didnt shed a single tear. You'd think that because it was the end of Harry Potter and that I was pregnant on top of it, I would be crying my eyes out, what with all the hormones. But nope. You could hear everyone in the theater sniffling and crying and I just sat there, with no emotion. It was bittersweet - a good movie, funny and sad, excellent even - but I didnt cry. Maybe I am finally growing up.

Harry Potter will always be a joy to me. The books (which are far greater and more magical to me than any of the movies) will always be at the top of my list for favorite books ever. They were my childhood. I grew up with Harry and all his friends. They became my friends. I will always cherish them (and probably read them a few more times in my life before I die - I've already read each book multiple times). I will forever be known as a Harry Potter geek. And I'm not ashamed of it.

I have to say, I'm so glad I was able to see all the movies at midnight and carry on that tradition before I had kids. I'm just glad I was able to participate. In a way, it's kind of symbolic: Harry Potter was the biggest thing in my childhood, my favorite thing (besides a random obsession with Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen - and yes, that was intense too) and now it's over. 2 months before my baby girl is due to come into this world. I guess this is signaling the end of my childhood as we know it. 

Despite being able to go because we dont yet have a newborn baby at home, it was slightly more difficult this year because we arrived at the theater early for good seats (and still ended up sitting fairly close to the screen) and were in there for almost 4 - 5 hours total. That can take a toll on a mama-to-be, that's for sure. But it was worth it. So farewell Harry Potter - the movies and books may have come to an end, but they will forever live on in my heart.

*Side Note* 

A really hilarious and random thing happened while we were at the theater. The previews started and we were enjoying seeing what was coming out soon, when all of a sudden, a preview for Sherlock Holmes started playing. Now, everyone though it was a sequel so there were excited whispers throughout the theater. After a short time passed, I leaned over to Tony and said, "Didnt this already come out? Like, this exact movie?" Come to find out, it sure enough was the exact ONLY Sherlock Holmes movie (to date, anyway) that's out there and it played all the way through and then went on to other previews - ?!?!?! - Whaaaa??? I heard people saying things like, "What just happened here?" and "Deja vu!" It was pretty hilarious. I've never seen that happen before.

0 comments: