5.16.2011

Mommies Out There - I Need YOUR help!!!

I have a task for all you moms out there, if you're up for it: I just registered at a couple of places and was content on what I had chosen. Then a couple of people I know told me otherwise on some of the products and how they didnt really work for them. So I got an idea to ask about a couple things in particular and see who has used them and what their experiences were with them. It's hard to shop and register for things that I have never used before and there are so many different brands to choose from. I have been researching like crazy and reading a ton of reviews on most products but I really appreciate hearing recommendations from people I actually know, as well. I realize that people all differ so there probably wont be something that is completely agreed upon, but your opinion really helps - trust me. So if you're up for it, I'd really appreciate any input you have!!

Products

- Diapers (I know we want to go with Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive in the newborn size because it was highly recommended and they look really great - but she will grow faster than we know and I'd like to hear what brand of diapers you guys like, what size, and why.)
- Bottles (I was going with Avent because it was recommended to me, but I just learned that they have a problem leaking, which isnt good.)
- Breast Pumps (Just general recommendations would be great!)
- Infant Baths / Bath Tubs (I cant seem to find a good one at all....)
- Thermometer (I'd love one of those ones that you can press against their forehead but I dont know how accurately those work...?)
- Baby Monitor (I'm having a tough time with this one because there are so many mixed reviews out there.)

*With both diapers and bottles, I'm planning on getting a few different brands of each to see what works best with Anistynn, because I do know every baby is different. But I'd like to narrow it down to the best brands!

Oh and if anyone knows of a great place to get wooden letters, I'd love to know. I want to spell her name out in her nursery. I've found a lot but not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for letters that are thick enough to sit on a shelf (I'd rather have them on a shelf than hang on the wall).

Thanks in advance!

3 comments:

Christal said...

Ok diapers: The only ones I had Greyson in at first were Huggies because I was against Pampers and their DryMax stuff. The Huggies worked great. Don't buy too many newborn sizes because they don't stay in the for long, BUT also it's worth knowing that Walmart will exchange any unopened diaper packages for another size w/o a receipt. So get whatever sizes you think you need because you can swap them out as she grows. Now we use Luvs which are great and seriously like $6 cheaper, but I wouldn't use them for NBs because NB poo is all runny and Huggies has leak gaurds. Blow outs will still happen though but you won't care because it's your kid :)

I have a Medela breast pump and it's been great. I haven't had to pump much though - Greyson never did warm up to the bottle. But we never bought a breast pump and weren't going to until a day or two after G was born because the hospital asked us if we wanted one, and they just billed it to the insurance. So ask your hospital if they do that.

G never took a bottle but I think it's because I waited too long to introduce him to them. I didn't really want him to be on a bottle but now I wish I had gotten him used to it. The baby Im watching 1 day a week has Dr Brown's glass bottles with a flow regulator to decrease air bubbles and therfor colic. It seems to work great. Plus the glass is chemical and BPA free, etc....

G didn't use and actual tub for the first couple weeks. I just wiped him down with a damp warm cloth. Babies don't need to be bathed too often at first since they don't get dirty very much AND their skin is so sensitive that soap (even J&J) can be irritating because you strip the baby of its natural oils. I don't think I used soap on him until about 3 months ago and event hat was only buble bath in the water, not on his skin. I just washed him with water. NOW though since he has Eczema I use Aveeno Baby creamy wash and eczema therapy lotion and that works wonders. I love it! And he smells like a bowl of oatmeal. :) Oh but back to the tub: we used this blue whale from Playskool I think once he was big enough for it - it was great! And totally inexpensive.

We just have a cheap-o monitor. It's just a soudn monitor - no camera or viewing screen. I'll probably splurge for one with a screen though once we move G into his bedroom. So I'd recommend one with a viewing screen. Just gives you extra piece of mind, especially if you're sleep training and don't want to baby to see you. You can still make sure that they're just unhappy and not hurt, etc.

And I'd got to etsy.com for wooden letters though I've seen them at Walmart too...

There. *Phew!*

Anonymous said...

I also recommend the newborn pampers swaddlers - they worked great for Dani though we have switched to the baby size now since she has baby size poos. We have just stuck with pampers since their newborn diapers worked so well and so far we have not had any blow-outs - even when she has slept for 7 hrs!
I also got a medela breastpump through the hospital/lactation clinic billing my insurance. It works great. I do recommend getting a hands-free camisole or bra though because its really nice to be able to get things done while pumping (like answering your post for example.. :)
We used a haberman for awile because its what we were given by the lactation clinic and was supposed to help encourage dani to switch to breastfeeding... It worked well as a bottle but didnt work as far as encouraging her to breastfeed. Now that she eats more we are using NUK orthodontic. They are bpa free and have a good anti-leak system for traveling.
We have a hand-me-down blow-up plastic duck tub. It works great though I kind of ignore the 'hot' sign that shows up if the water is supposedly too hot - it seems to think anything above room temp is too hot and both Dani and I think room temp water gets cold too fast.
We don't have a monitor since she won't stand for being put down anyway, but most people I know tend to do fine with a cheepo one.
~Caitlin

Robby and Lynsey said...

Diapers: I loved Pampers swaddlers - they were so soft! I know a lot of people who are very happy with Target brand from about size 3 (maybe 2?) and on. I tried these (2 different times) but they gave AK a rash/dry skin (both times). We've used Luvs for sizes 3-6 and are very happy. They are a good "middle of the road" diaper.
Bathtubs: I ended up just bathing with her because I never could get the holding a wet slippery baby down ... but that was probably because of the bathtub we had to use. I have no ideas for this one!
Monitors: We have what I thought was a nicer one -but not video. By the time she was 9mos or 12mos, the battery on it was shot. NOw I can only leave it on the base. I can't take it with me around the house/outside. Can't remember the brand, but if you are interested so you don't get it :) - i can look it up for you.