11.21.2011

2 Month Check Up

Today was baby girl's 2 month check up. I've been both looking forward to this day and dreading it with my entire being. On one hand, I want to make sure Anistynn is right on track with everything and healthy and happy. On the other hand, I dont want to see my baby hurt. 

All day up until her appointment, I was talking to her about going to the doctor and that she was going to have to get some shots but that it would be over quickly. I know she cant fully understand it yet, but I wanted to be honest with her and tell her straight up. She needed to be informed, not tricked. Sooooo, we went in at 2:10 PM and checked her in. She always gets fussy at the beginning because she doesnt like being in the nude and of course you have to take everything off to weigh her. So first she was measured (23 inches) and then weighed (10 pounds). She also got her head measured but sadly I cant remember what it was. However, I do know that the doctor said she was right on track and everything was growing "up" so that was excellent. We talked with Dr. Eki for a bit, just updating him on her eating habits (about 16 oz - 20 oz a day), sleeping habits (in bed usually by 10 PM - gets up once or twice during the night - starts her day around 8 AM), diaper  habits (at least 8 wet diapers a day and lately she's had number 2 once a day and sometimes once every other day), and anything she was doing to let us know she was developing on track (coos - she talks back all the time - smiles, and laughs). He said she seemed to be progressing very well. The physical exam went great; everything perfect there. 

We did notice her right eye getting more teary yesterday and some gunk would build up in it and we were worried that it was going to be pink eye or something but the doctor said it was probably just tears pooling up in her duct (I cant remember what it was called exactly) and that it's fairly common. He prescribed her some eye drops to use 3 times a day to help with that. That was about it on the concerns list. 

And of course, Anistynn got her vaccinations today. She got 6 total. Luckily, some of them were combined and one of them was taken orally so she was only poked twice. She did perfect on drinking the one (she made these adorable slurping sounds and the nurse was just cracking up) but then the shots came and it was so sad. We were feeding her a bottle when the nurse did it, to try to help calm her but of course, as soon as she was poked, she knew something was going on. She was all bright eyed, drinking her bottle, and then poke! She had a look of instant surprise and then started crying. She didnt scream bloody murder or anything but it was definitely a different cry than usual. Tony and I were each holding one of her hands (the nurse preferred we didnt hold her in either of our arms) and she was grabbing on to both of us so tightly. It was sad. I think it hurt me more than it hurt her though! I hate not being able to explain why she is getting hurt :( Anyway, she got one poke in each thigh and then got 2 super cute band-aids (a blingy silver one and a pink camo one) although she could care less what they looked like. I picked her up as soon as I could and she cried a little bit and then calmed down pretty quick. But then about 20 seconds later, I think she thought about it again and started crying once more haha. After another minute or so, we got her all settled into her car seat and left. About 5 minutes later, she was out and remained sleeping for 4 hours. We ran some errands (Tony had an eye exam and got some glasses) and then came home. 

As soon as we took her out of her car seat she started screaming. The doctor said she might have a slight fever and her legs would be sore for about a day. We changed her diaper, gave her a tiny dose of Children's Tylenol, and gave her a bottle. She went through 7 ounces in about an hour. She was crying in between. She would eat some and then just start crying. She couldnt help it. Tony was working with her and then I couldnt take it anymore seeing her so sad, so I went over and tried and she immediately calmed down. I guess it just took a mother's touch on this one :)

Now Tony and Anistynn are asleep on the couch side by side and she seems to be sleeping pretty peacefully but there's no telling how later tonight may be. I feel so bad for her, having to experience shots and a fever of sorts all in one day, when she's never experienced either before in her short little life of 2 months. If she screams and cries tonight, I wont mind because I know that's what she needs to do. All I can do is just be here for her. And you can bet I will be.

0 comments: