10.13.2011

Realizing & Learning

* You know you have a newborn when:

~ You realize just how lucky you are when you can take more than a 5 minute shower and enjoy it (and it's even better when you also get to shave your legs AND dry your hair).
~ You drive below the speed limit because you have a baby in the car.
~ Poop and pee are part of your normal daily conversations.
~ You become an avid internet shopper.
~ You rock back and forth while standing, even though your baby is not in your arms.
~ You walk around topless as much as possible.
~ You change a diaper right after changing a diaper. 
~ You learn to do everything with one hand.
~ You realize you are in the backseat of your car more than the front seat these days.

* Things I've learned since becoming a mom (to a newborn):

~ Even though my baby sleeps a lot, I still cant find time to do anything.
~ I consider shoving a cookie or some crackers into my mouth as an accomplishment. I usually dont eat something substantial until Tony gets home from work. 
~ Everyone advised me to nap when she naps, but this is nearly impossible for me to do. What if something happens while I'm asleep and I dont hear her? I've done it a few times, but I have to be holding her when I do.
~ It feels like all I do all day every day is feed her - that child cannot get enough! 
~ I could stare at her all day and watch her expressions. It's not wasting time at all. Most days, it doesnt even feel like there's an outside world - it's just her and I. And I love it (especially because I know it wont always be this way). 
~ People are a lot less interested in me than they are in my baby. When I was pregnant, I got lots of attention, but now it's all about Anistynn. But that's okay because I'm a lot more interested in her than me these days anyway :)
~ Throw out the baby books; while they may be helpful in certain situations, ultimately you will learn that mom knows best and you know your baby better than anyone. Get advice from your doctor, your friends, and family if you want, but if something doesnt work from a book, dont despair. Every baby is different and only a mama knows what to do and has that special touch.
~ Pregnancy brain transfers over to mom brain... it doesnt go away. I'm just as forgetful now as I was when I was preggo, if not more! 
~ Find other mommy friends; it will keep your sanity intact.

There can be rough times in mommyhood, but there are so many joys as well. I wouldnt change a single thing. I love being a parent - and I feel like one lucky mama to have been blessed with such a beautiful amazing daughter.

0 comments: