10.21.2011

Hospital Bag Revisit

The hospital bag is always a topic for debate: 

What should you bring?
What do you want to bring?
What do you need to bring?
What do you need in case things dont go as planned, resulting in other things you might need?

I decided I would do a post on what I took to the hospital, what I used and what I didnt use, and what I forgot. I feel it might be helpful for those soon to be mommies who are wondering. It is, of course, my own personal experience and opinions, but you never know - it might help a girl out! 

* Keep in mind that I had a scheduled C - Section so I was anticipating being there for 3 - 4 days and what I might need after surgery.

What I brought:

- 3 pairs of socks (I wore one pair the day I went home. I had to leave my socks off so they could check my feet for swelling every few hours).
- All my nasty underwear (and I dont mean nasty as in nasty but like in "not cute, pregnancy-related only" underwear). They say to bring some that you dont mind getting ruined (it doesnt matter how you give birth because recovery is basically the same no matter how you do it), but I ended up using the mesh ones they give you. They're not attractive (but number 1 - who cares? No one will see them except you and the nurses. And number 2 - I had planned for my other ones to get ruined, so obviously those were unattractive too), but they are dang comfortable. So to sum up, I used 1 pair of underwear (again, to go home in).
- 3 pairs of comfortable pants (yoga capris, sweats, and pj pants), 2 nightgowns, and 4 tops (long sleeved, short sleeved, and tank tops). I used one long sleeved shirt and the pj pants to go home in. Truthfully, I brought a range because I hate hospitals and I wanted to be as comfortable as possible, so I thought being in my own things would be better for me, but I actually ended up wearing the hospital gown the whole time (not fashionable, but it was the most easily accessible - I should have purchased one of those adorable hospital gowns they sell online; check some out HERE; but I forgot. I blame pregnancy brain). But anyway, the gown was better for me because I was recovering from an incision and pants would have been uncomfortable. Plus it was easier to nurse in and still allow the IV and whatnot to be in.
- A nursing tank top and a nursing bra. I didnt wear the tank top and I only wore the bra home. Yes, that means I was braless the whole time at the hospital, but trust me, it's better that way.
- Slippers. These were a godsend. I wore my favorite slippers to the hospital and they stayed on the whole time I was being prepared for surgery. Then I wore them whenever I got up to use the bathroom or take a walk down the halls. Since I wasnt wearing socks, these were great to have. 
- Shampoo, conditioner, razor, and shaving cream. I used all these, but only once. I was allowed to take a shower the day I went home. I was glad to have my own things there, although they usually supply these items at the hospital. 
- Make up. I used a compact every so often to try to make the bags under my eyes look lighter for pictures. I also used chapstick. Nothing else was taken out of my make up bag.
- Camera. Because duh. (And dont forget to charge it completely before you leave or take the charger with you! I charged mine beforehand).
- Laptop. Very nice to have to upload pictures, post updates, and see all the nice things people are saying about your precious little one on Facebook. 
- Cell phone. To call friends and family afterward. Also bring a charger for this too.
- Snacks and drinks. I didnt eat anything that we brought. I took advantage of the food from the hospital (it was actually really good - mmm roasted red potatoes! - and I also didnt drink any of the water bottles we brought. I only used the OHSU water bottle they gave me there. Tony, however, took great delight in the snacks and drinks, so make sure your spouse has enough!! 
- DVDs. We didnt end up watching any of them. We watched tv. And Friends was on there, so no worries :)
- Books and magazines. I read one page of a magazine. No books. I was incredibly tired and slept a lot. If I wasnt sleeping, I was spending time with baby girl (who also slept a lot) or with visitors that came to see us.
- Hair dryer and straightener. I know this seems petty, but I did in fact use the hair dryer. Only once though. I did not even pull out the straightener. 
- Toothbrush and toothpaste. The hospital ones suck. They're super flimsy. 
- 2 pillows from home. I'm SO glad I brought these. I ended up with 4 pillows that I could prop up around me and it really helped with the soreness from the incision. 
- 2 going home outfits for baby girl. I brought 2 because I didnt know how big she would be. 
- Baby blanket. Good to have.
- Diaper bag with every supply you could think of. You never know.
- Car seat. Because again, duh.

What I forgot:

- A hat for baby. I had ordered this adorable one (see my previous post) but I forgot it! We used the one they gave us at the hospital though and it was just fine.
- Socks for baby girl. Again, the hospital supplied these. 

What the hospital (usually) has - in case you forget or you just dont want to bother bringing it:

- Baby hat
- Baby socks
- Hospital gown
- Socks
- Mesh underwear
- Pillows
- Food
- Drinks
- Tv (so you dont have to bring movies)
- Toiletries
- Diapers
- Wipes
- Formula (if you need it)
- Breast pump (if you need it)
- Lanolin cream 
- Breast pads

So - I know that's a lot to take in but hopefully it helps. It will be slightly different if you're delivering normally (for instance, you might enjoy reading a book while you're playing the waiting game). And I may have had more things or needed more things because of my longer hospital stay. Also, I know recovery is slightly different between a vaginal birth and a C - Section (down there train wreck versus an inside incision and an outside incision; and different recovery time periods - vaginal births are usually 4 weeks recovery time whereas C - Sections are 6 weeks), but the rest is all the same.

I hope this helped somewhat and if you have your own insight or opinions to share (based on what worked for you at your hospital stay for the birth of your child) let me (and my readers) know!

0 comments: