3.10.2011

It's Official - There's A BABY In There!!!

Today was interesting, exciting, emotional, and fun. As you all know, being sick and not really showing yet, has made it even more difficult to believe that I actually had a baby growing in my tummy! I was nervous and anxious to go to the doctor for many reasons: I hate physicals, I'm terrified of hospitals no matter what I'm there for, and the biggest fear of all: that I would go in and they wouldnt be able to find anything in there. But on the other hand, I wanted to make sure what was going on and just get it over with. 

Tony got off work early and took me in to my appointment at 1:45 pm down at OHSU. We arrived a tad bit late due to traffic but we were still able to get in. They were really busy so we ended up waiting to go in for about 30 minutes. We decided that I would just go in since it was a physical and I'd rather do that alone. They took my weight and I gave a urine sample and went to the room. She told me to undress from the waist down and said the doctor would be in shortly. I sat there, in an alfresco situation, I might add, for almost an HOUR. That really made my day, looking around at everything sitting out a million times and getting more and more anxious. My God, it lasted forever. It was my first time to meet my doctor, too. Well, Dr Hatfield finally came in and she could only spend about 10 minutes with me. But she was very nice and I connected with her right off the bat. She was younger and very reassuring and knew exactly what she was talking about - and in that short time, covered everything important that I wanted to know at this point. Obviously, I didnt end up getting a physical but she didnt seem that concerned. She did, however, do an ultrasound and OH MY GOSH. It was such a nerve-wracking feeling, hoping that everything was okay, and right away, she focused in on the baby. I'm almost 12 weeks and I had no idea what I would be seeing but it LOOKED like an actual baby! She kept mentioning what a great side profile we could see. And I saw it's heartbeat, which was perfect, and it was also moving around! It was just the wildest thing to see. I couldnt believe it. It's finally real to me! She printed out some pics for us to keep. She told me that I was in great health, all my blood tests came back negative, I have no infections, and I'm 95% likely to carry to full term which is good good good! =) She told me I could come back in after a few weeks and get the physical but she really didnt seem concerned by anything - she also looked at my ovaries and said everything seemed great in there. You just have no idea how good this makes me feel - I was so worried because of how sick I was - not having the best diet, throwing up all the time, not getting a lot of exercise yet, etc. I was so worried and now I have a huge weight off my shoulders. 

So after being there for almost 2 1/2 hours, we got to leave. I also made all my appointments up until the due date, which is now September 23rd (I found the exact day after checking last year's planner), and I have all my appointments with Dr Hatfield! I have the physical in 3 weeks and then the anatomy ultrasound in another 4 weeks after that and we find out the sex! So exciting. Now that it's more realistic to us (well, it's always been to Tony, just harder for me to grasp!) we are trying to guess if it's a boy or a girl. Tony wants a girl - I have always pictured myself having a boy, until I actually got pregnant and now I feel it's a girl. But who knows?! As long as it's healthy - I know that's so cliche, but it's really all I'm worried about!

Thanks for all your support, prayers, and thoughts. Oh, I have the ultrasound pictures, and I'm hoping to get them up here soon and on FB, but we have to scan them first :)

1 comments:

Christal said...

that's awesome you have an ultrasound already. I don't think they do that very often. We had one at 10 week and it's amazing! It's sooo tiny but it totally have little arms and legs and a head! I remember just watching (who is now Greyson) wiggling around. So cool!