3.30.2012

Why Oh Why....

..... must birth control suck?! Seriously. 

Okay, so here's my story. It will probably contain some personal information that some might not really want to know / read (ex: dad, etc haha) but the choice is yours. 

I have never been on any form of birth control before. After I had Anistynn, I started the birth control pill. I started my first pack about 6 weeks after I had her. I originally had a different kind of pill prescribed to me because I was breastfeeding, but by the time I actually started taking it, I wasnt anymore, so my doctor switched me to the regular one. I think it's called Aviane. Anyway, when I first started, it threw everything out of whack. I was breaking out, I gained some weight (which really sucked because I had just lost all this weight after I had Anistynn and I was so proud of myself!!!), I was super emotional (which didnt help with all the hormones still going through my body from being pregnant), and I started what I thought was my period. It ended up going on for almost 3 weeks!!! I was flipping out because I felt bloated, uncomfortable, and worried that something may be wrong. I put off contacting my doctor for over a week because the birth control pamphlet said that your period could be lighter or heavier, longer or shorter, etc. GAH!!!! So anyway, I finally called and she said it was probably my body just getting used to it but if it kept on for some time, then to call back. I also found out that Aspirin makes you bleed like crazy (WHICH, my husband had given me almost 900 MG of Aspirin at one point when I had a horrible headache (I never take Aspirin, so I didnt know, but it was the only thing we had and he swore by it so I just took the 3 pills, not even knowing the dose). In fact, my mom even said she doesnt take Aspirin because it gives her nosebleeds! Yikes! So I attributed the heavier bleeding to the Aspirin. Well, after a few weeks, it finally wore off. I get the birth control packs with the sugar pills so when it reached that week, it kind of stopped. Then I got another pack and I got my period again during the next sugar pill week (which is what is supposed to happen). So now I've been on it for a few months and everything is going fairly smoothly, except for one major fact: I suck big time at remembering to take them. Never in my life have I ever had to take a pill consistently. I'm just not used to it - plain and simple. I have my alarm set on my phone for 4 PM every day (I picked that time because Ellen gets over then and I thought it would be a good reminder as well) but then it changed to 5 PM with the time change so that has screwed me up even more. Granted, I'm not forgetting to take it for the whole day, but sometimes it will be 10 minutes after the scheduled time, other times it will be half an hour, other times it will be 3 hours. I leave my phone in odd places because I dont use it very often so sometimes my alarm isnt heard for a while. Other times I actually pick it up at 5 PM and turn it off, intending to take my pill, but I get distracted doing something else!! Can you believe that? I feel so stupid sometimes but I'm a mom and I have a lot on my mind. Our schedules can also get crazy so I tend to forget when if I'm out and about during that time.

So basically, I started looking into a different method of birth control. For personal reasons, I dont want something inserted in me where it stays there. So really the only other option is the Depo Provera shot. At first, I was really excited because it would last for 3 months and I dont mind getting shots. But the best part was that I could get it done once a month and than not worry about it again until my next shot appointment! I called my doctor and asked her about it and she set up a time for me to come in and talk about if it's the right option for me (I have it set for the end of April), and I could actually get the shot that very day if I decided that I wanted it.

She also told me she sent me an email with a lot of information about Depo Provera. After reading the material, I'm just not so sure anymore. The shot doesnt bother me. It's the side affects that do. NOW, I know that side affects are rare and whatnot but I take all things into consideration, especially since I'm not used to just taking medications or anything. I'm always very wary and I like to be informed. So it has all the typical stuff (headaches, weight gain, breast tenderness, etc) but it also states these things, which I'm worried about:

* Loss of bone density. It states that you probably shouldnt have the birth control shot for more than a year or so because you could be at good risk for Osteoporosis. Whaaa....?! I mean, I've never even broke a bone in my almost 24 years of life. That freaks me out a little bit.
* Depression. You are likely to become depressed on this shot and may have to get counseling for it. Again, whaaa...?! I dont know if I'm down for that.
* No interest in sex. Um, excuse me, but isnt the beauty of birth control the fact that you are not likely to get pregnant, thus making it less stressful to enjoy sex??? Gah. 
* Once I get off the shot (when I decide to have more kids), it will take a few months or more probably to conceive. Now, I dont know quite yet when we want more kiddos (I know at least a year from now or so), but I dont like that very much. 

Basically, I would be getting the shot for convenience and convenience only. 

So my question to you ladies out there is:

What do you think? Have you ever or are you currently getting this shot? If so, how did you like it and did you have any side effects from it? Basically, what was your experiences with it? 

I'm leaning more toward no at this moment, mainly because I dont want my body to have to get used to everything all over again with a new form of birth control (like a repeat of what happened the first time), and of all the possible side effects, etc. If I decide not to get the shot, I will just really try to take my pill more at the same time each day ;) There's really no other way if I want to stay protected. 

I'm open to hearing others experiences and opinions, no matter what form of birth control you use (or even if you dont use one), so let me know!

PS - Do any of you girls out there just absolutely hate the weight gain crap with birth control??? I cant stand it. I have been carrying around like 5 - 10 extra pounds because of it and I cant get it off. No matter how much working out or eating right I do, it just sits there. It's not horrible but it's enough to irritate me. I have never really had weight problems before and if I gained any (during the holidays, for example), it was shed pretty quickly just by being active and going about my day. I guess I have good genes. But now it's not going anywhere. Like I mentioned before, I'm mad because I lost all but 6 pounds after having Anistynn that I had gained while pregnant with her (I gained 30 pounds throughout my entire pregnancy). I was so excited. When I started the birth control, I gained some poundage back and it's enough to make me not feel my best. I'm also positive that if I wasnt on it, I would be back down to my normal weight, maintaining it and whatnot, no matter what I ate or did. That's just how it's always been for me (luckily). So BOO on the stupid weight gain side effect!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I have tried just about everything out there. I don't like the pill because life gets busy and it can be difficult to remember to take. And for me, I'm at a point in my life where family planning must be a plan. No accidents *cough* I mean, miracles, for me. Everything has its own time and place for me. :) so I did try the shot and I liked it for the first 6 months, then I started to gain weight. And for me that's a big deal. Im like you that way, I've always been slender no matter what. My weight had never fluctuated until then. I freaked out and stopped using it. And the weight came right off. I also experienced the lack of sex drive....and that can create more problems than its worth. Lol. I am now happily using the nova ring for two and a half years. Its so so so easy and I've had no side affects. I guess I would say I still get a little crampy and pms..just a little. I do the continuous use where I change it once a month and have no periods, although I decided its probably good for my body to have one, so I'm having one this month. And at first I was a little apprehensive about having something there(and so was he, but he got over that quickly. It's just so fool-proof), but I don't feel it, it doesn't bother me at all, and its no different than changing a tampon that has no string. And you only think about it once a month. so that's my input. Birth control sucks when you can't find something you like. Good luck! :-)

~Jessica D

Sammi said...

So I agree. After having a baby(even before)I forget to even take my vitamins and my Zantac. I spoke with Dr. Dillon, the BEST doctor in the world and she put me on the IUD Mirena. That failed for me but I liked not having to worry about remembering to take some pill. She and I then discussed my options after the removal of the second one. She said the shot is crap and causes some health issues I did NOT want to deal with, We talked about the little Ortho evera or whatever that thing is called, but I would still have to remember to take it out every 3 weeks. I am also like to swim and be active... So patch= no thank you... We then started talking about effectiveness. Thats a whole different ball game.... At another appointment she said "What do you think of Implanon...?" "uhhhh I've never heard of it?" Basically it is a little 1.5-2 inch long piece of plastic that goes in your arm. Yes, in your ARM! Procedure was virtually painless. And its as effective as an IUD, if not, more. It is an implant.

I would discuss the possibilities with your doctor. tell her to give you all the brochures and also to explain everything to you. They do help.


PS: I used to be on Aviane. That was what I was on first. Then I took Lutera. Yea... I got pregnant. Haven't been pregnant since even with 2 failed IUD's.

Jessica, I envy you.... I dont want periods anymore :(((

Good luck, Danielle! Let me know if you have questions! I will do my best to answer them as well as I can! :)

~Sammi Ann

Anonymous said...

I hated birth control. Never remembered to take it on time even with a phone alarm and it made me super moody/cranky. I felt better pregnant even with the throwing up than I did mood wise with the pill. I haven't looked in to other options yet, so we have just been using condoms and that's been perfectly effective. They are a bit of a nuisance true, but its much better than being moody all the time. - Caitlin