8.08.2012

In Loving Memory

My grandma's memorial service (June 30th) was both a wonderful time to relive cherished memories yet also a sad time to grieve the fact that she's no longer with us. There was a great turnout and she was obviously loved by many. I wanted to include the pieces that Travis and I wrote for the program, as well as some of the older photos that were shown during the slideshow (the more recent photos were ones I had already posted in a previous blog). 

I Have Been Blessed 

I have been blessed. 

From the day I was born I was blessed to have her in my life. As I grew up and lost something a child shouldn't have, I was blessed to have her there.

Blessed with the little bologna sandwiches cut in the shapes of hearts she'd send to preschool with me.

Blessed with the many times she came to support and encourage me through school plays or ceremonies.

Blessed to have someone watch over me as I played in the park or went swimming in the local pool.

Blessed more than I could have realized when she always let my friends come over, despite how loud or annoying we got. 

Blessed to have every Christmas and birthday remembered, with the gifts of her love and kindness given so willingly. 

Blessed to have someone I could always come to, who would talk to me when I needed it most.

Blessed with stories and wisdom a lot of children aren't lucky enough to get growing up.

Blessed with all the many things I've learned from her and the time spent together.

Blessed with the memories and experiences of a loving woman that will never be forgotten. 

I am just an ordinary kid who has been blessed with something extraordinary. 

I have been blessed with Granny. 

Travis Way

















Grandmas are angels on earth. I know this because mine was just about the most perfect grandma a granddaughter could be blessed with. She literally took my brother and I under her wing when my mama passed away when I was just a little girl. Together with my grandpa, they provided a safe and loving place for us to grow up in. We spent the majority of our time over at their house. I feel that they are a direct correlation to who I am today. Not only was my grandma a caring and kind person, she was my biggest role model. I looked up to her as she had many great qualities. She always welcomed you with open arms and you felt comfortable around her. She was the epitome of "Grandma."

Edith was born on May 9, 1930. She met Bill when they were 15 years old at a church in Ivanhoe, California. Their first date was a hay ride. They married when they were 17 years old on Valentine's Day, 1948. They both wanted children and so my mom, Tanna, and my uncle, Charles, were chosen by them to be part of a loving Christian family. When she got older, my mom married my dad, Lyndon, and after years of living the married life, finally had me. I know Granny and Grandpa were so excited to become grandparents. They actually moved to Oregon from California to be closer to me. My parents and grandparents were blessed once again when Travis came along shortly after. In a sad turn of events, my mother was diagnosed with a brain tumor. She passed away when I was just 6 years old. My grandparents were my source of comfort. My grandma was my rock. She stepped in and was able to take on both a grandmotherly AND a motherly role and she excelled in them. I truly believe that my mom was chosen by them so that they could be MY grandparents. No one should ever have to lose a child but in a way, they gained two new children to love and raise. Granny always meant so much to me and she still does. I learned so much from her and I have so many amazing memories. Comforting hugs, never ending conversations, lots and lots of laughter, many hours of reading to her, watching favorite television shows, shopping, wearing pajamas all day, telling her all my stories, her sense of humor, her wonderful sweet laugh, her cooking skills and the delicious food that resulted from that, her values, her morals, our traditions, the importance of family to her, keeping a clean house, going through cards and pictures over and over again, singing, dancing, gardening, writing letters whenever I WASN'T over there (which was rare), and doting on the pets are just SOME of the many many memories I have of and with her. Her ability to listen no matter how long I talked and the way she could connect with anything always amazed me. I've always said that I felt like my grandparents were younger than they were - we just literally had such a close bond that I can honestly say they have always been some of my best friends.

My granny is an inspiration to many, but to me especially. She was a fighter. She fought through emotion and grief so that she could be the grandmother she needed and wanted to be for my brother and I after my mom, her daughter, passed away. She was a breast cancer survivor. She had a heart bypass surgery and recovered from that. She had many obstacles in her life that she overcame with grace. She and I were good for each other. We each filled an empty place in each others lives. Most people know that what I really wanted to do in life was get married and have a family. She wanted that for me too. I am so glad that she was able to meet and get to know my husband, Tony. Even more so, I'm glad he was able to meet HER and know how important she was in my life. I'm so happy that she was able to be at our wedding and to meet her first great grandchild - a baby girl named Anistynn. I'm so incredibly grateful for that. What's hardest about her passing is that throughout all the other hard times in my life - the tragedies, the disappointments, the fears - was that she was always there to talk to, to lean on, and to support me. Through her downwards spiral with Alzheimer's, she wasn't able to do that as much, and obviously, she's not here now to help ease me through this. It's so hard. I'm so glad that she still knew who we were even at the end. That shows the amount of love and closeness that we shared over the years. It's hard to just forget all of that. We lost an amazing woman on June 12, 2012 - daughter, wife, mother, grandmother, great grandmother, and friend. But what gets me through is knowing that she's not suffering anymore; she's not in anymore pain. And I know that right now she's riding that big carousel in Heaven with my mom. They've been waiting a long time to see each other again, and for that, I'm thankful.

I am really lucky. I have been blessed with unbelievable grandparents. I have lots and lots of stories to tell my little one about her GREAT Granny. My grandma will never really die, because she lives on in the hearts that knew her and loved her. She left a lasting impression. She is a legacy. And what makes me really lucky is that now I not only have one angel watching over me, I have two.  

Danielle Hermesman

0 comments: