7.08.2012

Bookworm In Training

The other week I received a package delivered straight to my door marked URGENT. I had no idea what it was. When I opened it, I found a gift set of sorts...from the library! A new baby gift set. I was confused as to why it was sent to me because I couldnt remember signing up for anything. It included an information packet on why reading to your baby is so important and rewarding, a DVD, 4 coupons for free books, a survey, a board book, and an application for baby's first library card. It was so neat! But I just couldnt figure out why it came to us. True, we had a baby, but I didnt give out my information to anyone. Well, I asked my friends and family on Facebook and it turns out that many others have recieved this same or similar gift set soon after their little ones were born. Mine got to me a little late (Anistynn is 9 1/2 months old - maybe that's why the package was marked URGENT haha) but still..... I guess they get information about new moms and brand new babies from the hospitals. It's a pretty cool program though. What's odd is that even though I'm such a book lover (and I'm pretty positive that Anistynn has inherited that love), it didnt even cross my mind to look up events or fun things going on through the library for me to take her to. *Smacks forehead* 

Anyway, we got lots of fun things done and lined up now, thanks to that little gift set triggering my mind into library mode. We took Anistynn and got her very first library card today. Because she's a baby, we also got a survey to fill out and send in for a free Blazer's ticket! We also redeemed one of the coupons for a free book today :) Oh, and we signed her up for the Summer Reading Program. I remember doing it when I was a kid and since you can be any age to enter, I thought it would be fun to get Anistynn started in her first year of life! And why not? All I had to do was sign her up (name and age - since she's not in school yet, I didnt have to fill that part out) and then grab a game board. You basically read for a certain amount each day, sing a song, or watch a DVD - each time you do that, you mark off a space (with a sticker, a check or a cross, or you can color it in). Once we hit the first goal, we get to bring in her game board and she gets a prize. This happens 3 times total. Then when the game board is completed (once the 3rd goal is reached), she will get her 3rd prize, a few free tickets to places like The Children's Museum and Oaks Park, and an entry to win a family vacation for 4 to Great Wolf Lodge. Plus a T-Shirt. So fun! I would love for her to particpate in this each year. The goal is to keep  kids reading through the summer, even though school is not in session. It's a great activity. 

I also found out about "playgroups" of sorts that take place at the library. Anistynn would be in Book Babies right now. Thy meet on Tuesdays and Fridays 10:15 AM - 11:00 AM at Multnomah County Library in Gresham and just have story time. The kids to get to hear stories and have interaction with other babies. It's a great socialization activity. They have similar groups that go through toddlers and preschool kiddos too. It's great! I plan on keeping Anistynn going to those for as long as possible, whenever we can make it. There's also this other great story time happening at the library branch in Troutdale called Pajama Time for children 6 years and younger with their familes. You can all wear pajamas and go listen to a story. This happens 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM on Tuesday nights. Oh and I read about a program called "Read To The Dogs" where older kids can literally go to the library and read to a dog. It helps them leard to read aloud without feeling judged, especially if they stumble or have any other obstacles. The dogs wont judge and it will give them practice. I think it's a fabulous idea and would be fun to participate in too if needed. 

So as you can see, we will probably be spending a lot of time at the library this summer and beyond! It's certainly not a bad thing though.... :)



** I also had my Mamas Night Out monthly event tonight. I started that back in May - I thought it would be a fun idea to get all the mamas in my area together and just have a night out doing whatever. Not only is it a great excuse for some time off, but also a great way to get together with your friends AND meet other mamas through your friends and make new friends with each other! It seems to be sticking which is so fun :) We saw Magic Mike and went to the Olive Garden tonight. Good times.


0 comments: